Homemade hamburger step 5 - the sauce!
When I said I wanted to make everything myself, even the mayo was needed. I didn’t know it was so easy, but now that I’ve done it, I can’t see myself going back.
Original source: SeriousEats
- 1 egg -or- 4 oz Egg Beaters (pasteurized egg substitute)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 medium clove garlic, microplaned
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- herbs (optional)
- sugar (optional)
- apple cider vinegar (optional)
- immersion blender
- tall cup (make sure the blender fits all the way to the bottom)
- Add egg, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and garlic to cup.
- Gently pour oil on top of the ingredients.
- Gingerly insert the immersion blender all the way to the bottom of the cup, careful not to disturb the oil.
- Turn on the blender, and slowly move it upward as the mixture emulsifies.
- Transfer to a bowl, season to taste, and whisk briskly to combine.
- 2017-03-11 - First try wasn’t bad, but the recipe I followed called for way too much olive oil. I need to continue experimenting.
- 2017-07-09 - After a bit of practice, very easy to do. Can use Egg Beaters if you want them to be pasteurized. I started playing around with flavors, adding herbs, sugar, and vinegars to get different flavors. Definitely recommend playing around with these.