11 Mar 2017
Homemade hamburger step 2 - the perfect meat!
Of course, to make the perfect burger, you must grind your own meat. Here’s how I did it!
- 3lbs steak (I used chuck steak, which was cheap and well marbled)
- meat grinder attachment for stand mixer (freeze the parts before using for best results)
- sturdy spatula
- heavy skillet
- Cut the meat into 1 to 2 inch chunks. Make sure it is well chilled before grinding.
- Using meat grinder, grind the meat. I used the coarse setting for this one.
- Very gently shape the meat into pucks 2 inches by 2.5 inches, about 4-6 oz each.
- Heat skillet on high heat until nearly smoking.
- Liberally salt and pepper one side of the pucks, then place seasoned side down in the skillet, about 4 at a time.
- Very quickly, use the spatula to smash the puck as thin as possible, about 4-6 inches wide
- Cook for a couple minutes until done on first side. Season the other side with more salt and pepper.
- Flip the burgers, scraping up all the browned bits from the pan. Add cheese, and cook remaining side for about a minute.
I like to serve these two at a time on delicious brioche burger buns!
2017-03-11 - Very good! I would try it again with a finer grind and try to press them harder. Also, I was tempted to overcook them, so more practice is needed to get them done but not burned.