Brioche Burger Buns
11 Mar 2017
Homemade hamburger step 1 - the perfect bun!
Original source: Smitten Kitchen
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 3 tbsp warm milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/3 cup AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, very cold
- sesame seeds (optional)
- large mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- large shallow pan
- box grater
- Combine yeast, water, milk, and sugar in a glass bowl. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Use the box grater to grate the butter into the flour to make crumbs.
- Add 1 beaten egg and yeast mixture, stir to combine into a dough.
- Put dough on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, usually 8 minutes or so. The dough should be a bit tacky, but try to minimize the amount of flour used.
- Shape dough back into a ball and put in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until doubled. Usually 1 - 2 hours.
- Divide into 8 equal parts, shape into a bun, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover again with plastic wrap sprayed with non-stick spray and let rise for another 1 - 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a large shallow pan of water on a rack in the bottom position of the oven.
- Combine the remaining egg, beaten, with 1 tbsp water and brush on top of each bun. Add sesame seeds (if using).
- Bake, turning baking sheet halfway through, for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
2017-03-11 - Not too bad. Not exactly what I was looking for, but good nonetheless. Was hoping for something a bit less dense and a bit sweeter. The quest is still on to find the perfect bun!